stat counter

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

It's Veterans Day

   I'm never sure what to say when someone wishes me a "Happy Veterans Day".  It's hard to be happy or smile with images of war fog my head.

    There are better ways to convey our appreciation for those who served. The West Grove does it with an annual parade.



   A small contingent marches six blocks to the old Grove cemetery. 
 


  After songs are sung and thankful words are said  



 

everyone goes home. 



As I left I stopped to chat with the Richmond Heights Middle School band director, Leslie Cooper. 
Her marching band had just played their hearts out in 88 degree heat



 


The Grove resident told me about her struggles to keep her kids in lessons, uniforms, and instruments.    I thanked her and promised to donate my spare trumpet.

          ____________

No comments:

Post a Comment