stat counter

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

OPERA FOR THREE

         Incredible things happen in Coconut Grove. We returned from another road trip yesterday. The
annual mega-art festival was winding down so I quickly took it in then returned home to make my own art (the Gifford Land Art Stroll is just two weeks away!).



    I turn on NPR and started  paint another fish sculpture. A moment later the guy behind us began blasting what sounded like a Maria Callas recording.  It was much better than Car Talk so I clicked off my radio to enjoy a familiar aria.  Maria sounded terrific.
    Then, as it ended, I heard one man clapping. I rush to the fence, pushed aside the  fronds and saw an opera singer beginning her next song fifty-feet away.  I thought, "She must be preparing for a performance tonight!"



   I rushed to the house and shouted at my bread-baking wife, "Quick, come with me!". As Francesca and I reached the fence and the next piece was ending we were both clapping.  The lovely artist turned to us, smiled, and took a bow. Her host, a neighbor I had never met, invited us to join them.
  








 Five minutes later we were in Dodo's living room enjoying a sublime operatic performance by our new friend, Joya. I suppose this will never happen again but it did, yesterday, in Coconut Grove.


                     __________________________________________

1 comment: