UP THE CREEK
News from the Gainesville Neighborhood Surrounding Rattlesnake Creek, 9-8-26
by Glenn Terry
THAR'S GOLD IN THEM THERE TREES!
We've been living under a goldmine.
Our front yard is filled with oak trees and they are filled with the long grey beards of Spanish Moss. There must be a ton of it up there. Shopping at Walmart last Saturday I saw they're selling four-ounce packages for $5.44.
I must throw out $200 of it (ten pounds) every week after it falls to the ground.
From now on I'm putting mine on E-bay and will watch the money roll in.
BURNING MAN 2026
My son Ian gave me his Burning Man report as he drove home yesterday. Since 2016 we've gone there together five times. Despite a little rain and a few dust storms he and his friends had a blast.
I started drawing bad portraits of people forty years ago. Ian carried on this family tradition in the Nevada desert last week.
That's him on the left with a few happy customers. Below, a few more photos he just sent my way.
![]() |
| His friend, Fabi, peeking out from her dust storm hideaway |
![]() |
| Tricked out VW camper |
![]() |
| Rendering of BM 26's cathedral |
REMINISCING IN THE FLORIDA KEYS
I've enjoyed the Florida Keys my entire life. Two weeks ago I took a solo trip to Key West to take it all in again. I always stop in Islamorada to marvel at the giant crayfish in front of The Rain Barrel gallery.
On Long Key I checked out the house my parents built in the 60's. I was thrilled to see the house number sign I made 55 years ago still affixed to the wall.
![]() |
Bargain at Key West pier
|
Biking around the southernmost city is always a treat.
![]() |
I stopped by my favorite restaurant, Blue Heaven, to watch the roosters gallivanting about. They seem to run the place.
A friend of mine lives on the water next to the Southernmost House. No one seems to care that he lives in the second most southern house. He stores his stuff in the third.
![]() |
| On the right, our country's southernmost house along with #2 and 3. |
I tried tent camping in Bahia Honda State Park. While the sunset was lovely,
Thank goodness for St. Augustine. It's North Florida's own Key West. We can drive there in 90 minutes and there are no invisible bugs to bite you.
WAY LESS PLEASE
On the way home I stopped in Miami. While staying at a friend's house I opened the front gate to a frightening sight, a growling Jaguar robotaxi with spinning appendages and 29 cameras.
I didn't order the Waymo, I had my laughable mini-camper (my Prius) to take me places. I guess it stopped by mistake as it slowly moved on.
As we know, the 'bots have starting operating on their own. Soon they won't need us. After they take over I expect these robocars will be mowing us down.
If our leaders can't stop global warming I doubt they can stop driverless killer cars.
But others have found success.
Fifteen months ago someone ordered five of them (during the Los Angeles ICE protests)
HEIDI'S ART SHOW
My good friend, Heidi Stein, is showing her work at the UCG gallery on NW 5th Avenue until the middle of the month. Stop by and enjoy the whimsical work of this talented artist.
At the opening of the show I met her in-laws. My ears tingled when they told me, "The Flying Pig Parade is best parade we've ever seen. All others pail in comparison".
GLENN'S ART SHOW
UCG ("The United Church of Gainesville) is having a two-hour art show on Sunday, Sept. 20th. Twenty artist will exhibit their work. Some of it will be for sale.
I'll be selling lanterns, fish made from palm trees,
and lamps.
You can buy a slice of Francesca's fresh-baked banana bread
for two bucks. All proceeds go to charity.
We'll be there from 10:30 to 12:30.
THE CHICKEN HAS LANDED
Our neighbor, Eli, has donated a 6-foot rooster to our neighborhood park, Rattlesnake Woods. He's standing guard near Rainbow Bridge now.
NEW COMMUNITY BAND
Chelsea Carnes has put together Gainesville's new marching ensemble, THE RADICAL RUCKUS MARCHING BAND.
We had our first practice on Sept. 2nd at Heartwood. Get in touch if you'd like to join the fun.
NO KINGS RALLY IV, Oct. 17th
We hope to see you at the next No Kings "GET OUT THE VOTE" Rally Oct. 17th.
The first three were the largest protests in US history. Now we're showing up again to promote the biggest turnout ever for the midterms.
While Washington is threatening to sabotage the election and our freedom to vote, the best way to protect our rights is to exercise them.
COME to NO KINGS IV on Saturday, Oct. 17th, and help make this important day a huge success.
_______
Don't complain about the future, be the future.
-Masha Gersen























No comments:
Post a Comment