stat counter

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

DIGGING MY FIRST GRAVE

       Tomorrow they'll lower the body of Bernie Paris into ground. While I didn't know him I helped dig his grave today. 

    A burial from an earlier visit. Embalming and caskets are not allowed at this cemetery.  This person was wrapped and placed in a six-foot basket. 
     I'm a new member of Gainesville's volunteer grave digging group, "The Pick & Shovel Guild".  It's a jolly bunch made up mostly of retired folks like me.
     When someone dies -and their family wants them buried in the local green cemetery- we gather in the woods next to Paines Prairie.  It's a 900-acre conservation area and will remain woodsy, I'm told, forever.



       Here's how it works, you pick a good spot and set down a wooden frame.
After a moment of silence and an appropriate poem, you go at it with picks and shovels. 
 

    It took over an hour to dig down the required 42 inches. That is the best level for a body to "become one with the earth".

     After Mr. Paris is buried tomorrow his grave will be marked with a simple brass disc.  The family may decorate it with moss, pine needle, or flowers.
 

     A recent burial

   It felt good to be helping this stranger reach his final rest. When my time comes I'll be fortunate to be so honored.
           _____           __________________________
    (Two Days Later)
   I dug my second grave today.  When they announced the name of the deceased I realized I had gone to law school with him years ago...
Here's his brief obit from the Orlando Sentinel,

    A really good man is gone. Harvey Martin Alper left us on Sunday, November 17, just two days before his 73rd birthday. A green burial will occur at his chosen location in the woods near Gainesville and a local farewell gathering of friends and family will take place in the not too distant future. He will be missed by many fine people. Sorrow shared is sorrow lessened.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment