stat counter

Sunday, March 26, 2023

RIDIN' THE WHIRLYBIRD

    WHIRLYBIRD

 

What's with the big grin, Glenn?

Does everyone do that when they take their first helicopter ride?

"Yep", I answer, " It's totally AWESOME!"

 

   Yesterday was "Aviation Day" at the G'ville airport.  I have a passion all things flying so I sauntered over to check it out. 

The airplane greeting me was this simple Cessna 150.  It's what I learned to fly back in '66.

 

I noticed a group of kids marching past me with guns.  I think they were there to protect us from the crazies who thing aviation enthusiasts are "woke".

 

Moving on I toured a big'un that can drop buoy bombs on submarines

Boeing 737 converted for anti-submarine welfare

 

and this natty Benson Gyrocopter.

I bought a broken one once. I tried to fix and fly it, and nearly killed myself. Young men do dumb things.

 

I spotted a sign saying for $60 I could take to the sky in this sleek blue helicopter.  Yippee!

 

The first six seconds was worth sixty bucks.We were up and away!

My flight was more than exhilarating. Chris the pilot gave me headphones that made the chopper's engine as quiet than a prayer.

As he twisted the control stick we rose like smoke to head towards the UF campus. As we flew over Satchel's I could see the university's original orange-roofed buildings in the distance.

Just before them were the conglomeration of ugly mega-apartments that clog up NW 13th St. at University Ave.  Ky-rist, there are more on the way.

 

   I felt free as a bird -retaining my goofy smile- as we drifted over the UF's secret zillion-dollar football training complex. There was the air-conditioned indoor field house I'd read about plus, a couple more playing fields outside.

There's even a rec area with a b-ball court, a pool shaped like a jig-saw puzzle piece, and a putting green. The masseuses and manicurists must be just inside.


 

On the green field I could see gator gladiators, uniformed white specks working on secret plays that only I could see (Chris the pilot was too busy keeping us from crashing). 

The Swamp

The Church of All Things Gator soon drifted into view.  Isn't it weird that this big baby hold services just six days a year?

 

Ever busy with my camera I shot the University Auditorium. 

A long time ago I saw Andy Warhol step up to the podium there and not say anything. He was terrific. Andy at his best. We applauded his silence.

I looked to my left to see our house just a mile north of The Swamp (our football stadium). 

It was reassuring to see that it, and almost every other residence, is hidden by trees. We're a "tree city" y'know.

Chris then pointed our chopper back to the airport. As Lake Pithlachocco glistened in the distance he brought us home for a gentle landing.

That's why you saw a helicopter touring our university all day. Woke or not, it was Aviation day in G-Town.

 

TWO FOR TEA

I recently learned that Gainesville has two businesses catering to lovers of tea. Both are hidden in plain sight.

A Thousand Leaves Herb Shop is in an industrial area at 22 SE 5th. Ave.  The herbalist on duty will assist you with any teas,


tinctures, or spices you may need.  It reminded me of a tea shop I once visited in NYC's Chinatown.  You tell them what ails you and they mix of a batch of secret something.


 

The other tea emporium I discovered is "HOWL" a converted residence at 109 SE 4th Avenue.

That's my son, Ian, saying "hello" at HOWL












The folks that run the place, Bluejay and Caleb, could not have been nicer.  They offered my son and I a vast array of prepared teas, coffees, and muchables.

      Bluejay spotted King Mango on my t-shirt and exclaimed, "The King's in d' house!". Turns out she's from Coconut Grove. Her family has enjoyed the zany King Mango Strut parade there for years.







We enjoyed sipping tea at HOWL (the "House of Waking Life") and know you will too. Stop by and tell Bluejay King Mango sent 'cha.


Bluejay and Caleb tending the bar



HONORING OUR CONSERVATIONISTS

        Five hundred of us gathered in a lush meadow yesterday, the home of the Alachua Conservation

ACT's headquarters, Prairie Creek Lodge
Trust ("ACT").  The non-profit is Florida's leader in land conservation. They own -or manage-  56,000 acres in North Central Florida.

        At last night's annual affair we honored Randi Cameon, Richard Hamann and Vivian Filer for promoting ACT's goals through education.

       It was a wonderful evening to support a terrific organization.

      


As the Sooza Band played Art Crummer did the "Locomotion"

   











Another spectacular event on the prairie


                             __________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment